Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The long race vs. the short race

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another." - Walter Elliot

Do you ever wonder why it takes so long to achieve your dreams? We plod along, thinking we're making no progress at all.

I think that way too, sometimes. What I need to remind myself is that each little success is it's own short race. To put it in writer's terms, each success is it's own story. It has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Setbacks are simply speed bumps along the way, or "conflict." Setbacks create that much more excitement when those small victories arrive.

Sometimes I need to knock myself with a sledgehammer to remind myself that each success is exactly that: success. Who cares if it's small?

We may arrive at the finish line huffing and wheezing. The race was long and riddled with potholes.

But, we arrived.

1 comment: